Candidates for Confirmation are required to choose a sponsor to walk with them throughout their journey towards the Sacrament and after receiving it. A sponsor is someone who can be a mentor or spiritual companion for you. The role of a sponsor is to “see that the confirmed person acts as a true witness to Christ and faithfully fulfills the obligations connected with this sacrament” (Coded of Canon Law, 872).
The minimum requirements to be a sponsor are as follows:
1) Must be over the age of 18
2) Must be fully initialed in the Catholic Church – is Baptized, Confirmed and participates on the Eucharist
3) May not be the mother or father of the person being confirmed
4) Cannot be a boyfriend or girlfriend
5) Can be either male or female
6) Must actively participate in the Catholic faith, exhibiting the qualities and virtues of the Christian life.
7) Must be living a life in harmony with the Catholic Church
8) Must be in “Good Standing” with the Catholic Church
Please log into the Confirmation website and submit your Confirmation Sponsor.